Ring Ring! How To Answer The Phone
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Press Releases & Other Communication and other Entrepreneur topics.
How Can I Improve my Phone Etiquette?
You may go days without having to talk to a client or contact on the phone, using instead email and instant messaging. Have we forgotten our phone etiquette? Here are a few tips to make sure you communicate professionally and effectively on the telephone:
- Identify Yourself: When you pick up the phone, identify yourself, rather than the usual “Hello?” While you don't have to give the entire company name as well as your name, answering the phone “This is Bill Sweet” is a professional courtesy. Also when calling others, identify yourself before asking for the person you're trying to reach.
- Return Calls Quickly: Set a goal for yourself to return all phone calls within a given period, like a day or less. If you don't keep customers waiting, they'll be pleasantly surprised.
- Speak Clearly: If you're a natural mutterer or speed talker, take a deep breath, sit up straight, and speak clearly and slowly on the phone. It goes a long way.
- Shut Up: If you be quiet and let your caller do the talking, you'll get more information out of them. People don't like silence, and they'll involuntarily tell you more than they planned on if you give them the opportunity.
- Leave Short Voice Mails: No one likes listening to 5 minute voice mails. Leave your name and number and a short explanation for your call.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.